Saturday, June 30, 2012

Growing in Grace and Wisdom

Today was our last day at Messiah United Methodist Church. 

 It was an incredible day.  God is awesome!  
Our church is amazing!  I am so so very thankful.  

A friend joked with me this morning that I'll be the first person taken to the hospital because of dehydration from tears!  :)  
I held up well.  God is so good!  
Joy and Sadness collided to create overflowing gratitude in our hearts!  
We have so loved it at Messiah and we trust and know that God is calling and sending us once again.  

We really struggled with what to preach.  
What do you preach on your last Sunday? 
We had all kinds of ideas, but none felt ...right... 
I prayed. 
I got incredible wisdom from one of my best friends who said, "You asked what to preach?  Preach the Gospel.  Do they need to hear a word of hope?  Preach hope?  Do they need to hear peace?  Preach peace? Preach the Gospel!"  
I felt led to the lectionary-- we haven't always preached the lectionary consistently at Messiah- often doing wonderful and creative sermon series.  
But I went to the lectionary and it was what God was calling us to preach.  
This text and sermon were just right for transition.  

God works!  
It is awesome! 
When I don't know, God always knows-- I just need to listen. 

Our children's sermon was super fun- we called it "Miracle Grow"  
 The kids were awesome.  And as always Gracie brought us both a note.  Thankfully Sophia sat while Kevin and I both led the message.  Gracie played with my stole.  

What follows is our sermon.  
I love my husband so much.  I love sharing in parenthood with him. 
I love sharing faith with him.  I especially love sharing in the call with him. 
And this day we had the joy and honor to share in our last sermon here together. 
(The formatting, etc. may look a bit different depending on the preacher- we formatted what worked for us.... and I simply used the same copy here)- you'll see each section indicated who is preaching.)

Revs. Kevin and Beth Anderson
Ezekiel 17: 22-24, 1 Corinthians 3: 6-6
Mark 4: 26-34
“Growing in Grace and Wisdom” 


Kevin Part 1– (Setting up Parable of Scattered Seed)
 When Jesus arrives by the Sea of Galilee, crowds of people gather. They’ve heard of this Jesus who has healed and preformed miracles. 
They’ve heard of his teachings and have come to listen to his word….. 
So many gather that Jesus climbs into a boat and begins to teach the crowds
just off shore, he teaches through a series of parables.

When the Disciples asked why Jesus used parables to teach the crowds
the Word of God, Jesus replies,
“The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you.
But to those on the outside everything is said in parables.”

The disciples come to understand that Jesus is the Messiah,
but for the people to understand who Jesus is,
who God is, and their relationship to God,
they need to relate their life to God’s mighty acts... 
so the crowds gather…Farmers, herders, fishermen, and those in fields of trade such as stone-cutters, carpenters, and merchants
gathered to hear the Word of God, to hear these parables. 
 Jesus uses their professions-- connecting their story with God’s story. 

The parables begin with a story that we might be a bit MORE familiar with, the parable of the sower. 
The parable of the sower tells the story of a farmer, the seeds that he scatters and the ground which receives it.

It challenges each of us to be open fertile soil for God’s word to grow, and yet it can also bring a sense of discouragement to the work we do in ministry

as it tells us that much of the seed we plant will not bear any fruit-
it may fall besides the rocks, be scorched, or choked
depending on the soil and how well the seed is sown.

Whereas the parable of the Growing Seed tells the story of a farmer who works and toils, day and night, to grow his crops in a labor of love.
he makes great effort to scatter the seed in good soil, with the great hope
that it will produce a fruitful harvest. 

When he works and even when he sleeps, the seeds grow.
So while the farmer puts in all he has into the seeds with love and care,
he still does not create the harvest alone.

Some believe that the point of the “Parable of the Growing seed”
often called “The Seed Growing in Secret”
was to give more comfort to the Disciples
and people who serve as farmers of the word.  
Comfort for those worried that the seeds that they sow
will just be lost in the thorns, choked by weeds,
or eaten by the birds hovering around them,
planting in them the seeds of discouragement.

It is easy to get discouraged when we think or feel
that we are alone and isolated as farmers of the WORD.

Whether we are clergy or laity
all people struggle with our failings in life as we strive for success.  Discouragement can lead to depression….
yet the reality of it all is that we are never truly alone in anything we do.

regardless of the time of day, the project at hand,
the amount of success or failure that life can bring
God is there with us cheering us on,
and ushering in comfort in hard times of famine and drought.

While there are times of harvest and times of pruning,
God continues to grow with the power of the Holy Spirit
to scatter more seed for the harvest.

 This is comfort for us
God is always present, and always there in all ways-- at all times. 
As the Psalmist says…………..
“You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. 
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.  
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.  
Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. 
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?”
PAUSE:
…God is ever present,
and just like the sower we do not tend our life and fields
alone and isolated. God is working.  

God proclaims through the prophet Ezekiel, “I myself will plant…
All the trees of the field shall know that I am the Lord….
I the Lord have spoken; and I will accomplish it.”

The Parable of the Growing Seed emphasizes
the actions of God, what God can do. 
The parable of the growing seed reveals the just because we do not always see
each way a seed we plant MAY grow
does not mean that seed DOES NOT grow
God can use any seed to bear good fruit.

Beth-- Part 2- (What this does for us- Seeing)

We rarely see the full picture of what God is creating—doing—planting—calling….
When I answered my call to ministry – at first I struggled to believe that God was calling.  Did God know me?  Me? Could God use me?
 I could not see what God saw.  I did not imagine that God could use me. 
Has God called you and you haven’t seen it
Because the thing is- God is always calling
What is God calling you to now?
How is God growing you now?
What has God grown in and around you that is just now bearing fruit?
It’s hard to see the way God sees.
Once I accepted my call to ministry – I still only saw this much (blinders).
I thought God had called me to be a chaplain in a hospital serving the poor. 
And God just kept growing. 
More kept being revealed. 
God kept saying- “And this too”
And God grew me- to keep saying, “Yes.”
It’s so hard to see what God is always doing- always at work—all around and  just below the surface.  
As a US-2 missionary, I spoke at churches about our bag lunch program.  When I called to confirm at one church that I was their mission speaker they said, “Yes – you’re preaching and leading our worship that day.”
“Oh no,” I said, “ I’m just your ‘mission speaker’,  they said- “no – you’re our preacher for the day.”
Are there places in your life where you say “I’m just this….” 
“We are only just that” ….
Well-- I preached by accident that first day—and a powerful Holy Spirit miracle grow call of God was saying, “And this….Grow.
It’s quite powerful to experience this. 
We’re in the season of Pentecost now talking, thinking, re-discovering the power of the Holy Spirit—and this is how The Holy Spirit works—we don’t see always, but we feel, we stretch- we grow.
This parable of the “Growing Seed” ---the “Seed Growing in Secret” reveals- this is how God movesalmost in secret- because we cannot see. 
I love Hymn 707 Hymn of Promise-
The repeating line is that there are things God is doing- miracles God grows—and they are “unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see.” 
When God sent us to Messiah—Kevin and I had just graduated from seminary - we were starting out—our plan was simply to love God and to love you.  And we have.  We do—we love you.
---------We thought= we’d settle in a year or so and try to begin our family. 
///  We could only see so much. /// J
We wanted to plan --- make sure we were ready for new changes.
Well, God was working- even when we didn’t fully know- even when we could not see. 
Grace was already on the way
God’s grace is always ahead of us….
And Sophia followed in the same way
        (God’s wisdom always knows before we do)
Without a plan, without the “proper preparation,” without reading all the baby books… without an instruction manual. 
God sent Grace and God sent Sophia to us.
And God gave us you.  We love you.  You’ve loved us.
You became family. …..
God and You have been our instruction manual…. for children, life, ministry…. 
You’ve “ordered your lives after the example of Christ—and surrounded our children in steadfast love” so that they have grown- in the faith – “in this way that leads to life eternal” [i]  And we, are eternally grateful. 
We’ve all grown—even when we haven’t noticed perhaps-  God’s been growing us all. 
And God’s been calling us – to grow some more.
 To see more- to share and scatter more seeds of the contagious joy of Jesus Christ.
Earlier this spring, I ordered all these books on pastoral transition- on starting in your new appointment
One day recently, Kevin came and kindly helped me pack up my office.
 I had all the books I wanted to read sitting in one particular spot….
But I forgot to tell him that. 
So all those books that I wanted to read 
to tell me how to move into a new church got packed.
 I managed to find one of them--- as if that will give me all the answers-
As if reading the right book, having a plan—will be the miracle.
And it won’t make the miracle— but, it is good compost,
nurturing God’s growing.
But my plans – they aren’t a miracle.
They don’t make things grow.  
God does that.
God grows.
“Unrevealed until its season- it’s something God alone can see”
God is a grower- who is growing you--- even when you can’t see or understand…..
And While God works-
We must be open to hear the “And this” call
and receive the seeds of God’s grace, wisdom, and love
And God grows us. 
Rooted in Christ.
And  …. Joy thrives.



Kevin- Part 3 (All we can’t see- aka not all about the planter)  

John Chapman, also known as Johnny Appleseed, was a missionary,
a pioneer, a farmer, a sower of SEED and God’s WORD 
He stands as a living example of these parables today. 

He took on a mission traveling across Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana,
and Illinois planting seeds, in the hopes of them becoming apple trees,
to provide another source of food for those that were hungry. 
His ministry became legend as well as the blessing named after him
A blessing used at many Anderson family meals.

The Itinerate process in the United Methodist Church
reminds me of John Chapman’s mission. 
We are called into a ministry of Seed. 

Planting, growing, nurturing, cultivating, pruning, and planting again. 
And we do this not alone but with God
Not alone but with the people of God.

It is not all about the Pastor, and it is not all about the church
but it is all about God’s actions,
and the harvest that comes from working together
to vision, to grow, to plant, to seed
and to reap the harvest of ministry together.
 
This is the good news of our ministry together! 
This is the hope for the present and future
of those who have been here before are here now and for those
that God is calling in this time to this place. Creating a beautiful Collision.

God has tilled the earth and soil, preparing for what comes next,
The hope, grace, love and wisdom of God
rain down on all of us as one body in the planting business.

While we are farmers of the Word, we are NOT alone in our toil.

I am not a professional gardener, but I do understand
that when you overwater a plant the seed cannot grow.
and when you fail to water it, the plant never even has a chance.

And yes instead of planting seeds altogether, instead of gardening,  
you could go up to Michaels and purchase fake plastic plants
But even though they might look nice when we place them along our path, they are stagnate, they do not grow and they do not wither,
all they do is collect dust….
Seeds, soil, visioning, faith, planting, working together..Now that takes trust
There’s no guarantees that you, the farmer, will bring forth fruit.  
Yet we are called to try, to put forth the effort, a labor of love
Just as the sower has done day and night.
The Parable of the growing seed reminds us
That we are to trust in the Actions of God 

God will work.  It’s not all about the planter
A shoot may spring up where you least expect.

God has planted me in ministry with  amazing people
in places where ministry grows. 
The love of Christ is rich for reaping, seeds find home on good earth. 
This has been Messiah for me

I am thankful for Messiah and this Parable of the growing seed,
because I know that God has brought me here and is bringing new people here to this Church, this community, this home.

I know that God is growing new things that we cannot even see yet. 
We are not alone in ministry, we are never alone. 
We all partake of the planting, experience God’s growing,
and share in the harvest as one.

Beth-Part 4 (The Hope we Have) 
 
Paul says to the Corinthians,
“I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth.”
The ministry of all is important, valued, and can yield powerful fruit!
We all do some seed scattering, planting and some watering
Those who came before and those who come after.   
We hear the call again And this” 
                                      God doesn’t say “Do this, not that” 
God doesn’t say, “But, now, do this.” 
The growing that has occurred is never left out, discounted, never dismissed--- it’s all addition, multiplication, all growing
ALL   “And”
And, now this—Go-- Be planted and plant again, scatter seed once more, 
Grow in grace, grow in wisdom, grow in lovekeep growing.”

Let’s never dismiss God’s miracle growth.
 It may not be what we planned-or thought to plant.
 It may not be what we saw- but God saw fit to scatter the seed, plant, and grow
Let us see the possibilities
Let us value the seed and see all it can do.
We can look at seeds and say that isn’t enough- we say that isn’t the right approach, this doesn’t fit what we thought the plan would be….
But what if that is a mustard seed waiting to grow? 
That’s what we’ve experienced.
Mustard Seeds!
Of Grace,
Mustard Seeds
Of Wisdom
Mustard seeds of LOVE
SO much LOVE!
 
What if God is working and we don’t know? 
Because--God’s always growing ! 
Tell somebody!
“God is
ALWAYS   
  GROWING!”

God’s a miracle grower!
In you,
In Me,
In all of Us,
In Messiah!
God is growing!



Thanks Be to God! Amen.

 Today was such a powerful day! 
We are forever grateful!  
We are filled with Deepest Love and Overflowing Joy for Messiah!  
We thank God for all of you!  


 


No comments:

Post a Comment